Penny Elmslie from Xero, a software company that develops cloud-based accounting software for small to medium sized businesses joins Peter Applebaum in a one-on-one interview, debating traditional versus digital marketing. Xero was founded in 2006, after traditional desktop accounting software were no longer the best option. Founder Rod Drury created a modern cloud-based digital product as a result of this problem, thus, Xero was born. Peter and Penny discuss her transition to digital and how the differences between digital and traditional effected the business.
Case Study Key Takeouts
- Both online and offline marketing can be powerful depending on what you are trying to achieve and what the purpose of your campaign is.
- Offline marketing can drive online marketing i.e. using offline marketing to drive people to your online platforms where your digital marketing can be showcased.
- Do your research and learn where your customers are; online or offline? Follow that journey and use those channels.
- Small businesses have an advantage over corporate and that is that they have a personal brand in their local community. Use this to own your local media e.g. events, PR, local press etc.
- Over 50% of small businesses do not have a website. This is a mistake. Everyone needs to have a website at this time and this could act as a credibility point for your business.
- Find a market that is underserviced and approach that. Use technology to your advantage and do something you love! Be consistent, authentic and genuine.
Head of Strategic Planning
News Limited Australia
Director of Mortgages, Asset Finance and Property
Panel Key Takeouts
- Traditional can also be interpreted as “trusted” marketing. It has always been around and has been proven to work over the years.
- Not every business needs to have an app. Put the customer needs, wants and desires first and the technology comes second.
- Be passionate about what you are doing and lean on as many people as you can to tell your story and build your brand.
Caller Key Takeouts
“What is better for my personal branding; traditional or digital?” – Erich Kannen
- Traditional and digital marketing can help you target a different generation of clients so use the one which is the most relevant to your audience.
“Should we keep up our local advertising or should we put some of that money towards digital marketing?” – Mark Griffin
- Build on what you are already doing with your local advertising to broaden your reach. What you can do will be dependent on your budget but having a mix of traditional and digital advertising can be beneficial to your business.
Marketing Tech Key Takeouts
Making Social Simple
- There are many free social media management apps you can use e.g. Hootsuite, Socialoomph or Meetedgar
- Your social media plan must be aligned with your business goals
- With some planning, initiative and creativity you can set up your social media programme to work smarter for your business!